Level 3 certification provides coaches with an opportunity to choose their curriculum from a variety of carefully developed and selected resources, collaborate with peers in professional environments, and experience a higher level of coaching content than previously provided in Level 1 and 2 certification, in alignment with the natural development of athletes.
USA Lacrosse believes that the end result of Level 3 certification will be coaches who can not only teach previously developed concepts, but are also empowered to create many of their own strategies and teaching methods, ultimately raising the level of play of their athletes.
USA Lacrosse highly recommends at least three years coaching experience with players ages 15-and-over before beginning the Level 3 certification process.
Coaches with a current Level 2 certification are eligible to progress to Level 3 certification, an exclusive credential that shows dedication to being the best coach possible.
|Level 3 Certification Requirements|
Level 2 Certification plus
|Current USA Lacrosse Membership|
|Current "Green Light" NCSI background check|
|Level 3 Live In Person Clinic Or Virtual Workshop|
|Concussion course (NFHS or CDC)|
Steps to Certification
Maintain a current USA Lacrosse membership and NCSI background screening
A current membership and background screening maintains your Level 1 or 2 certification and qualifies you to enroll in the Level 3 certification program. A complementary background check is part of your USA Lacrosse membership. The background check is performed by one of the nation’s leading providers - the National Center for Safety Initiatives (NCSI), based on guidelines from the National Council for Youth Sports, the FBI PROTECT Act and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.
Complete a live training
Live training is available virtually. Click here for the calendar of currently available workshops. If you previously took our hands-on Level 3 instructional clinic, you do not also have to take the virtual workshop to certify.
The Center for Disease Control and National Federation of State High School Associations courses provide important information about preventing, recognizing and responding to a concussion. Take the free CDC or NFHS course (link above), then email your completion certificate and member ID to firstname.lastname@example.org. A USA Lacrosse staff member will add the course completion added to your training history.
- Once all components are reflected in your training history, you will receive an email confirming your status as a certified coach within 24 hours.
- To monitor your training history, please log into your account (https://myaccount.usalacrosse.com/login) and, once logged in, click on “certification and training” from the toolbar on the left-hand side.
- Keep your certification current by renewing the following:
- Your USA Lacrosse membership (annually)
- Your Athlete Abuse Prevention course (bi-annually)
- Your NCSI background screen (every two years after the first screen)
- You can find your expiration date and renewal for all of the above in your USA Lacrosse account